Orientation week

Ahoj!
Já jsem Hannah a jsem v België. Nemluvím Cesky, ale naucím se!
I'm not sure these sentences are correct (there are certainly some accents missing that I can't find on my tablet 😊), but I think that people around me would be able to understand  me. I hope I will improve this language quickly, but it has to be said: Czech is difficult!
I remember hating the fact that French words could be masculin or feminine where the adjectives must fit with. Or that you have to hold the nominative,  the accusative,.. in mind when you're speaking German. Well,  Czech has it both! And like they don't find it already hard enough, they decide to make it a little bit harder. Masculine can as example be divided in animate and inanimate: so when the word is masculine (if you even can remember that), you have to look if that 'thing' that you're talking about lives or doesn't live. That defines with which letter the adjective that belongs to that word will end (which you off course also have to learn by heart) and that can change  depending on the grammatical case. And sometimes, you also have to add some letters to the noun itself.
Okay, but now enough, I don't think you find it very pleasant to read about how the grammatica is build of a language you will probably never learn.
It's just that I had received some books at my AFS-camp and that I'm now trying to learn a whole chapter everyday. I hope I will be able to communicate in a better way with my family. Now, it's okay, but it can still be very difficult to explain things,  ask something,...

Apart from studying, I have off course explored Sokolov a little bit . Sokolov is not a big city like Prague, but I don't think it's small either. Everything is close to you: bars, restaurants, stores, a library, two swimming pools,... Compared with my village back in Belgium, that's already much. My host father was very surprised to hear that we first have to drive some kilometers before we find a bakery.
Next to our house, there's also a park. I think (though there are always some people) it's a very quiet and peaceful place.
Yesterday, I went to the library to borrow some books. I must say I was a little bit dissapointed. When my family showed me the building sunday, I was surprised to see a big  castle where probably all kind of books could be found. But when I visited this library, I saw the biggest part of this castle was used as a museum. The library was one small room (even smaller than the library in Avelgem) with three or four racks that contain English books. Though there were not many books, there were some good books standing there (written by J.K Rowling as example).
I'm longing after school: the fact that I don't have friends yet can make me feel very lonely.
Fortunately, there is a welcome picnic organised tomorrow in Pilsen for my chapter. I'm really looking forward to it: to meet people that do or did the same thing as me. I'm curious how they are doing.
It seems that gymnázium Sokolov welcomes an AFS-student every year. This year, we're even with two: me and another Italian girl (hopefully I will see her at the picnic).
This was my kind of 'orientation week'. Let's hope everything will be fine! 😁🙏

Reacties

  1. Dobry den Hannah,
    I can feel through your words that you are passing a tuff and lonely time for the moment. I hope with you that change soon will happen with the making of new friends despite the language barrier. Our minds and hearts are with you at every moment.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Ik verlang om te lezen hoe het was op de picknick!!!! Succes morgen op je eerste schooldag!! Spannend! Dikke dikke knuffel xxxx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Deze reactie is verwijderd door de auteur.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Great post Hannah! And having studied languages myself, I actually found it quite interesting to learn that they make a distinction between animate and inanimate in their grammar. I wonder where they draw the line between the two. Is a tree considered animate? And what about something like planet Earth?

    I'm sure your first few days at school will be another new and exciting experience where you'll learn a lot!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Beginning of school

It has begun!